Do you have an exciting birthday or anniversary coming up soon? Is the person a gardening enthusiast? Are you unsure of what useful gardening-related item to gift? Well, then you’ve come to the right place! Here are 13 items that make amazing gifts for organic gardeners.
Key Learning Points
1. Gardening Books
If you’re looking for a gift that’ll be highly appreciated and cherished by your gardening enthusiast friends and family members- one they’ll keep close at hand and use frequently, then you should give them a gardening book. Every gardener dreams of having a library of books that reference everything from basic seed sprouting to specialty fruits, veggies, and ornamental plants.
- Bringing Nature Home by Douglas Tallamy. This book is focused on informing gardeners about the world beyond pretty flowers and basic vegetables- it discusses the importance of native plants and how they help sustain wildlife.
- Botany for Gardeners by Brian Capon. It covers basic botany in an understandable and enjoyable-to-read way. Plant growth, functions, reproduction, etc., are discussed with colorful illustrations.
- Starter Vegetable Gardens by Barbara Pleasant. The book explains garden layouts, watering, pest control, etc., for beginner organic gardeners in a concise manner using illustrations as well.
2. Gardening Gloves – Best Gifts for Organic Gardeners
Another great gift option for anyone who gardens frequently is a pair of durable gardening gloves. A solid pair of gloves will not only protect their hands from pricks and injuries from sharp tools and thorny plants, but it’s an effective way to reduce skin irritation caused by some mulches. It will indeed prove one of the best gifts for organic gardeners.
There are a few things to know before finding the best gardening gloves for your friend or family member, though. First, gardening gloves must fit well but shouldn’t be as snug as fashion gloves. There should be ample space between the glove and the top of the fingers.
In addition to this, different glove materials are better suited for different tasks. Leather gloves are ideal for using heavy tools or working with thorny plants. Cotton gloves are great for light gardening work, especially in summers. Traditional gardening gloves made with a combination of materials are durable and more functional.
Plus, do not forget about little hands assisting you in garden chores and gift them best kids gardening gloves on their birthday.
3. Gardening Tools
The best gift you can give to a gardening lover, whether a novice or an expert, is a good pair of gardening tools. Gardening tools can be a shovel, a pair of shears, trimming scissors, or a gardening rake. However, there are a few things that you should keep in mind before making the purchase.
- Look for quality material. Stainless steel is the best for gardening tools as it works against the soil and can be cleaned easily. Traditional solid steel tools are the most durable, although they are somewhat heavier. Plastic and aluminum are also good choices as they’re lighter to work with; however, they’re not as durable as the steel ones.
- Hold the tools in your hand to check the grip. You should always go for the tools with a bigger handle as they’re more comfortable to use.
- Look for tools with interchangeable heads; they will offer the best assistance because you can change their lengths according to your need.
- When buying, make sure you pay attention to the length. Shorter tools will lead to bad posture resulting in back pains. However, tools with a decent length will let gardeners work without bending too much.
4. Soil Meter
A soil meter is essential for anyone who manages a sizable organic garden. It measures the soil’s moisture, acidity, and basicity, which are the important factors for plant growth. Soil meters also come in different types. A good soil meter should be able to detect accurate readings while quickly providing results. Here are a few options for you to choose from.
- General Tools Soil Moisture Meter – it’s a great budget-friendly option
- Segomo Aquameter – it’s an easy-to-use moisture meter
- Klein Pinless Moisture Meter – its the best for outdoor gardening
- iPower Soil Moisture Detecter – it’s overall the best soil moisture meter
- Melnor Soil Moisture Sensor – it has the best smart sensor to detect moisture
5. Compost Bin
If you’re a person who likes to give a resourceful and practical gift, then a composting bin is the best gift option. A composting bin doesn’t only reduce the impact on the climate, but it also produces a nutrient-packed fertilizer for you. What’s a better gift for someone who prefers organic gardening, right? To help you out, we’ve mentioned a few composting bins below.
- OXO Good Grips Easy-Clean Compost Bin has a capacity of 1.75 gallons and comes with a fitted biodegradable bag.
- Utopia Stainless Steel Compost Bin is stainless steel and can hold up to 1.3 gallons; it comes with a lid with holes.
- Norpro Ceramic Compost Keeper is perfect for smaller households with very little waste, comes with a cover, and has holes for breathability.
- Enviro World FreeGarden EARTH Compost Bin – one of the best outdoor bins for you, it can break down 82 gallons of food waste and has an animal-resistant lid.
6. Bee House
If your friend also enjoys beekeeping and gardening, then a bee house will be the perfect gift for your organic gardener friend. Beehouse is a great option for low-key beekeeping- it’s really easy to install, and you just have to either hang it by a tree or mount it on a wall. There are a few things to note before purchasing a beehouse, though.
- Make sure that the nesting tubes have a variety of holes with differing diameters. That’ll make it accessible to several types of bees. You should look for tubes with holes between 2-15mm in diameter.
- Tubes should have smooth ends and be free from splinters because you do not want to hurt the bees.
- Look for a sheltered bee house that can protect the bees from rain and strong winds.
- Make sure the back of the bee house is strong and sturdy because bees will not use one with both ends open.
7. Bird Feeder
A bird feeder can be a thoughtful and considerable gift for a person who loves a natural garden with native plants and wants to attract various birds. An ideal bird feeder should be able to withstand the weight of squirrels, be easy to assemble and be easy to clean. There are many types of bird feeders available on the market.
- Tray feeder -attracts the most variety of birds, easy to assemble however, offers no protection to seeds from rain due to which they may sprout and can foster bacterial growth.
- Hopper house feeder -does a decent job at protecting the seeds, attracts the most feeder birds, and is also great for feeding squirrels.
- Window feeders -plastic feeders that can be attached to the window, really easy to clean and set up, and the feed can easily be accessed by the birds.
When it comes to choosing decorative gifts for gardening hobbyists, you can never go wrong with a succulent. These can be kept outdoors on a patio set and indoors, giving a pop of green to the living room.
Succulents come in all sizes, shapes, and colors. They’re hardy, easy to care for, and make for cute decor. Most succulents need to be kept in bright light, but they can survive in the shade if watered less. Some of the easiest succulents to grow at home include Burro’s tails, hens-and-chick, Christmas cactus, jade plant, etc. While organic gardeners may not pay attention to succulents, these add a lot of variety to the space and make perfect gifts.
9. Patio Set
A patio set can be a great gift for someone who has just bought a house. A cozy patio set can revamp an outdoor sitting area. We’ve listed some trendy patio set options that work with any garden aesthetic below.
- Walker Edison 6-Piece Outdoor Wood Chevron Patio Furniture Set – it’s 6-piece furniture set with sturdy and lightweight wood. It’s a really beautiful patio set to give as a gift.
- GARDEN 3-Piece Outdoor Patio Wicker Chair Set is the best-rated budget-friendly patio furniture set and has easy-to-clean and comfortable cushions.
- Flash Furniture Nantucket 6-Piece Black Patio Garden Set With Table comes with 6-piece chairs and a solid table with a quality finish. And the best thing about this set is the umbrella that provides shade from the sun.
- Alpine High-Top Patio Set – very sleek looking, perfect for modern homes
10. Plant Lights
Providing sufficient light to indoor plants can be hard, so plant lights are the best solution.
LED lights are the most common type of plant light available these days. They are quite useful and efficient as they produce a lot of brightness without generating heat. They can be altered to provide a range of light specific to a plant species. They can also be modified to provide several intensities throughout the day.
Fluorescent lights are another type of plant light that’s best for growing plants that thrive in minimum light. They’re also good for growing vegetables indoors. When purchasing fluorescent lights, go for those with narrow tubes- the narrower they are, the more efficient they will be. They’re available in sizes like T5, T8, T12, etc.
Halides are also a good plant light option mainly used for big plants, providing light to a larger area.
11. Seed Sprouter Kits
A seed sprouter kit will make the best gift for a novice gardener. These kits are fun, easy to use and have everything you need to grow plants at home.
They are available in two types- one being a classic soil-based kit and the other being a hydroponic kit. With soil-based kits, you can grow microgreens like buckwheat, cilantro, sunflower, dun pea, etc., while hydroponic kits allow you to grow lettuce, spinach, herbs, and other greens.
It also makes a really thoughtful gift as some sprouts have health benefits and can help with weak eyesight, weight loss, and digestion. They also lower blood sugar for people with diabetes.
12. Sun Hat
Every gardener needs a good wide-brim hat to protect their face, shoulders, and chest from sun damage. Of course, before buying a garden hat as a gift, you need to check the accessory and make sure it’s a comfortable and breathable fit.
One-size-fits-all hats don’t fit all heads, so be sure to invest in a quality hat of the right size. You can get some hats with adjustable sizing too.
Moreover, look for unnatural bits and baubles in the sun hat. These can dig into the scalp, pulling and damaging hair. Plus, as the main goal of a sun hat is to avoid harmful UV rays, be sure to get one with a larger brim (around 2-4 inches). Brims shouldn’t be so big they interrupt the gardening by covering the eyes. UPF hats are great too.
Lastly, to add convenience, get a material that doesn’t collect dirt easily, like a classic straw hat.
13. Collapsible Wheelbarrow
While you likely view wheelbarrows as space-consuming equipment made of compact materials, there’s a convenient kind of wheelbarrow that any organic gardener would love to own, called a collapsible wheelbarrow.
This collapsible or folding wheelbarrow uses a cloth-type bed held in place by a steel frame instead of strengthened material. It’s sturdy and very useful for carrying heavy bags of soil or fertilizer.
Conclusion – Gifts for Organic Gardeners
Gardening is a hobby that requires lots of tools, and it’s hard for anyone to buy all these resources and equipment themselves. That’s why any gardening-lover will appreciate the gifts mentioned in our list above. These options all aid in gardening one way or another, making the hobby more fun and enjoyable. So, make a best decision of choosing gifts for organic gardeners and surprise your people.